Song 43 ( Jethro Tull - Steel Monkey )

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71-kfMsT-8L._SX522_.jpg

For song 43 of my list I am choosing Jethro Tull's Steel Monkey off of the 1987 album Crest of a Knave; I have loved this song ever since I saw Jethro Tull play it live a few years ago. For those who do not know, a "Steel Monkey" is a slang term for a high-rise construction worker.
My wife bought the Crest of a Knave album for my birthday yesterday; I had it on vinyl before but it was missing some songs. This song is very high energy and strangely danceable for a Tull tune, although the canned drums are a bit of a detractor. Martin Barre's blazing guitar is just awesome and is my favorite aspect here.
At this point in Tull there were actually only three official members: Ian Anderson, Martin Barre, and David Pegg, the others were session members, one of which is Doane Perry, who would become their permanent drummer.













This is the infamous album in which Jethro Tull won the Grammy Award. Interestingly enough from what I understand Ian does not even have it any more, in an interview a few years ago that I heard on the radio Ian said that he did not really care about the awards and that if he did it would seem to him that he was too much into his public image. At last I heard his son is using the award as a pencil holder.

Here is the studio version on YouTube.
Here is the music video on YouTube.

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn