1691 The Foggy Mountain Boys (Flatt & Scruggs) - Cripple Creek

1691 The Foggy Mountain Boys (Flatt & Scruggs) - Cripple Creek
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4112VXDDE8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
From: Foggy Mountain Banjo, Year: 1961
Genre: Bluegrass

Yesterday I found out that legendary musician Earl Scruggs passed away. The two songs most would probably remember from Flatt & Scruggs would be "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" (the theme from the Beverly Hillbillies), which can be heard here on YouTube; and Foggy Mountain Breakdown (from the film Bonny and Clyde); it can be heard here on YouTube.
Anyway, after hearing about his death I was remembering a lot of his music, which I was mostly exposed to through my grandfather. He was a big fan of Flatt & Scruggs, Bill Monroe, and bluegrass in general. This was the first song he taught me to play on the banjo many, many years ago.

Here is a recording on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Queensrÿche - Fear City Slide

My song pick two years ago today: Dream Theater - Light Fuse and Get Away

My song pick three years ago today: The Doors - Ghost Song

My song pick four years ago today: Badfinger - Day After Day

+

Comments

  1. Steve Martin could play the hell out of "Foggy Mountain Breakdown." Here he is with Earl and others:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing that performance a while ago; yeah, he's very good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)