Song 48 ( Devo - Some Things Never Change )

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/Totaldevo.jpg

I am picking this song today for a special reason, I will discuss further down. Devo is a bit hard to get into for some because their music is so odd and sometimes doesn't really fit with what is considered a genre. Like most Devo songs, this song sounds almost like it was released two years from now. They pay tribute to the Beatles' A Day In the Life with the line "I saw the news today o boy, a thousand stories that we've seen before." The song is about imbalances of power and those who are in power.

Here is the studio version on YouTube.
Here is the midi SID music from the Commodore version of the game on YouTube.

Now for the reason that I picked it: Yesterday I found out that William Gibson's Cyberpunk book Neuromancer is being made into a movie; another one of his stories that did make it to film is Johnny Mnemonic.
I remember a long time ago playing the video game adaptation of the book on my Commodore 64. What was awesome about this game was that it actually had digitized music playing in the intro. This might seem normal today, but back then this 20 second clip of garbled sounding music was unheard of and mindblowing. Never before had I ever heard an actual song coming out of my computer; not the normal midi sounding tunes that I was used to. The song was Some Thing Never Change by Devo; now there is the connection!
This story, Neuromancer, is part of the Sprawl Trilogy and is basically the inspiration of recent Sci-Fi. This book was published in '84 and most of the computer lingo we use today concerning the internet also came from this book, the word Cyberspace was first coined in this book as well as referring to a virtual reality if someone jumped into the net as a Matrix; many other terms have come from this series books as well. I really cannot wait to see this film.

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn