928 ( Jethro Tull - Dogs in the Midwinter )

928 ( Jethro Tull - Dogs in the Midwinter )
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Jethro_Tull_Crest_of_a_Knave.jpg

Those who have read even a bit of my song a day blog probably already know that Jethro Tull is one of my favourite bands.
Anyway, the other day I was able to procure another rare Jethro Tull track titled "Blues for the 18th" from iTunes; (the only place that the track apparently exists at this moment). The song dates from the early years of the band but was not released on any albums; it actually is quite "poppy" in sound compared to the sound that I am accustomed to from the band. I just found out about the song's existence; every time I believe that I have the entire studio catalogue another song seems to pop up. I have just became aware of a few more unreleased tracks from some of the '90s albums, so the never-ending hunt continues...
Anyway, I thought that a 'Tull track would be in order today, plus this song fits my mood perfectly. In this one Ian likens international tensions such as The Cold War to wild dogs fighting each other for scraps during the lean winter months. Probably my favourite lyric in this song is: "It's hard to find true equilibrium when you're looking at each other down the muzzle of a gun." Musically, this is an incredible track with Martin Barre's blazing guitar lead and David Pegg's driving bass.

Here is the studio version on YouTube. The lyrics are in the info section of the video.


My song pick a year ago today: John Denver - Season Suite: Late Winter, Early Spring (When Everybody Goes To Mexico)
My song pick two years ago today: César Antonovich Cui - Orientale

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn