6139. Paul Kantner and Jefferson Starship - Starship

From: Blows Against the Empire; Year: 1970; Genre: Psychedelic Rock/Space Rock
Been decompressing from being on the road out of town and am definitely using things like this blog to help get back to homeostasis you could say.
Anyway, I have had this concept record by Paul Kantner and company on my mind off and on over the last bit and decided now would be a good time to choose another track from it. This is the "grand finale" of the "space opera" concept, which features a big group of who's who from the folk rock scene at the time contributing on this track and a few others. Starship features the lead guitar of the late-great Jerry Garcia, although you really wouldn't need to be told that because it is so obvious his sound and style. Also David Crosby and Graham Nash add some backing vocals, also Harvey Brooks on bass and other Jefferson Airplane alumni Grace Slick and David Freiberg as well.
As you would guess, it's a rather big sounding progressive psychedelic folk rock, especially vocally, which has a choirlike quality to it with all of the immense vocal talent. Other than Jerry Garcia's lead guitar Grace Slick's very percussive and prominent piano really steal the show on this one.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 5 years ago today: Small Faces - Itchycoo Park

My song pick 6 years ago today: Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) - Night in the City

My song pick 7 years ago today: The Psychedelic Furs - Pretty in Pink

My song pick 8 years ago today: Cesar 830 - Bridges

My song pick 9 years ago today: Ugly Kid Joe - So Damn Cool

My song pick 10 years ago today: Rage Against the Machine - Renegades of Funk

My song pick 11 years ago today: Triumph - Fight the Good Fight

My song pick 12 years ago today: Rammstein - Dalai Lama

My song pick 13 years ago today: Savatage - Day After Day

My song pick 14 years ago today: ? and the Mysterians - 96 Tears

My song pick 15 years ago today: Pink Floyd - Goodbye Blue Sky

My song pick 16 years ago today: The Bee Gees - New York Mining Disaster
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In