Song 81 ( Argent - Hold Your Head Up )

I am picking songs this week that have three things in common: 1. I like them (of course), 2. I discovered the songs by myself without anyone introducing me to them, and 3. Almost every person that I know hates the song. I am doing this theme because this is what I view as the most sincere and true form of fanhood that a person can show: going against the grain and loving something in the face of everyone's contrariness around you. I want to make clear here is that these song are ones I like because I like them, not in spite of someone else hating them. These would be songs that I would like even if everyone around me liked them.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516OPz3CG9L._SS500_.jpg

For today's pick on my theme week I am choosing "Hold Your Head Up" by Argent; this is a song that I have liked for a very, very long time. My favorite aspects of this song are Rob Argent's organ work and the overall driving feeling the song gives. However, the part that I do find a bit wanting about this composition is the repetitiveness of the chorus, other than that I think that this song is excellent.
Rob Argent is the leader of this band and the band's namesake; Rob Argent was also the keyboardist for the band The Zombies. The Zombies are known for their hits: "Time of the Season" and "She's Not There."
This is Progressive Rock in all of its glory, which is probably the biggest knock that the song has against it. However, no one ever gives me a reason why they hate it. I guess that the message of the song fits this theme week very well: no matter what others do to get you down, Hold Your Head Up!

Here is the long version in a fan video on YouTube.
Here is a music video on YouTube.
Here is a television performance on YouTube.

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn