Song 80 ( Béla Fleck & The Flecktones - A Moment So Close )

I am picking songs this week that have three things in common: 1. I like them, 2. I discovered the songs by myself without anyone introducing me to them, and 3. Almost every person that I know hates the song. I am doing this theme because this is what I view as the most sincere and true form of fanhood that a person can show: going against the grain and loving something in the face of everyone's contrariness around you. I want to make clear here is that these song are ones I like because I like them, not in spite of someone else hating them. These would be songs that I would like even if everyone around me liked them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3e/OutboundCover.jpg

For today's pick on my week on a theme, I am choosing A Moment So Close by Béla Fleck & The Flecktones. I really love this song a lot because it takes me to places in music that would otherwise be unknown. Every instrument is doing its own thing, however at the same time they are one sound; I absolutely love the work of all of the musicians in this one. One of the most interesting aspects of this song is the guy who is "throat singing;" I believe that his name is Congar Ol Ondar.
I think that why a lot of people hate this song is because it is so weird and does not fit the casual listener's heuristic of popular music, and most musicians probably do not like it because it is intimidating music. An excellent song very much needed to be picked.

Watch an excellent live performance of the song on YouTube.

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn