Song 79 ( Bachman Turner Overdrive - Not Fragile )

I am picking songs this week that have three things in common: 1. I like them, 2. I discovered the songs by myself without anyone introducing me to them, and 3. Almost every person that I know hates the song. I am doing this theme because this is what I view as the most sincere and true form of fanhood that a person can show: going against the grain and loving something in the face of everyone's contrariness around you. I want to make clear here is that these song are ones I like because I like them, not in spite of someone else hating them. These would be songs that I would like even if everyone around me liked them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ed/Bachman-Turner_Overdrive_-_Not_Fragile.jpg

This is the title-track off of the 1974 Not Fragile album, to best describe this track: it is very heavy and it is I guess what could be called Industrial Rock. Two things really stand out for me about this song: 1. C.F. Turner's pounding bass and 2. Randy Bachman's and Blair Thorton's Guitar solo. The bass line is easy, straight forward, and thumping that fits amazingly well in the song. I love the guitar solo in this one as well, both guitarists really shine here. An oddity that I found out about is that Randy Bachman's last name is probably the most mispronounced in music; most people pronounce his name "Bok-man" when it is actually pronounced "Back-man."

Here is the studio version on YouTube.
Here is a live performance circa '74 on YouTube.

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)