Song 126 (The Guess Who--"Hang On To Your Life")



From what I understand Burton Cummings wrote this one in Hawaii when he had a horrible sunburn. The song itself is about a man who is being held captive in a basement by some people who supposedly drugged and told him that they will let him live if he gave them his soul. I cannot find if this is based on a true story or not, but according to what I've read the lyrics: "It's here and it's real?" and "Screaming that 'I don't want to die!'" where supposedly spoken by the man who was held captive. Also the lyric "Feeling like betraying a friend" was written because two of his captors were supposedly friends of his.
This is a very good song by one of my favourite bands; I've liked the song every since I first heard it, especially the twin lead guitars and the powerful vocals that got my attention. What really made this song stand out for me was at the end of the song (about .30 seconds) a passage from Psalms 22:14-15 is spoken with distorted guitar.

Here are the lyrics:

Thinkin' 'bout the people gone by
Screamin' that I don't wanna die
You can push your head
But don't you push it too far...

Thinkin' 'bout it's here and it's real
Wonderin' how I really should feel
You can sell your soul
But don't you sell it too cheap...

Hang on to your life
Hang on to your life

Thinkin' 'bout betraying a friend
Thinkin' 'bout delaying the end
You can ride the wind
But don't you ride it too high...

Hang on to your life....

(Spoken, from Psalm 22)
They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion. I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels. My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

Here is a fan video with the studio version on YouTube.

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade