Song 151 (Gordon Lightfoot--"If You Could Read My Mind")

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/SitDownYoungStranger.jpg

I was listening to a lot of Gordon Lightfoot's music the last little bit, so I figured I should pick one of them.
I love this track mostly because of the powerful and deep lyrics of the song; although many other of his tracks fit that profile as well. Most of his songs, especially this one, comes off as sung poetry. I love the imagery and metaphor that he uses to put into words his thoughts and feelings; just amazing. The music as well is quite intricate and fits excellently together with the lyrics. This is a very melancholy song, but the one of best songs I have ever heard that expresses what one goes through with a lost love. Probably the best part about Gordon Lightfoot for me is that his singing voice sits at almost the exact spot that my singing voice is, so when I am singing along with the music it is very easy for me to keep up.

Here is the studio version on YouTube.
Here is a Soundstage performance from '79 on YouTube.
Here is a more recent live performance on YouTube.

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade