812 ( S Sgt Barry Sadler - Ballad of the Green Berets )

812 ( S Sgt Barry Sadler - Ballad of the Green Berets )
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bc/Ballad_of_the_Green_Berets.jpg

I noticed that it was Veteran's Day and/or Armistice Day depending on where you are at; I figured that I should choose an appropriate song. Most of the morning I was trying to come up with a good pick, this one just happened to pop into my head and I thought that it was a perfect song for today.
Oddly enough, the first time I heard this song was in a video game over 20 years ago; it was a strategy game on my Commodore computer called Conflict in Vietnam. I remember my mother telling me what the song actually was about, so I immediately had to find a recording. Luckily my father had the song on one of his K-Tel/Ronco super hit records or 8-Tracks.
This song was co-written by writer Robin Moore, (who had written a book of the same name, which became a film starring John Wayne with this song used as the theme), and S Sgt Barry Sadler while he was recuperating from wounds incurred during service.

Anyway, happy Veteran's Day! Be sure to thank any soldiers you see today for their service.

Here is a music video on YouTube.


My song pick a year ago today: Pink Floyd - On the Turning Away
My song pick two years ago today: ABBA - Soldiers

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6961. Explorers Club - Raising the Mammoth 2: AKA Prog-o-matic - Gigantipithicus

6960. Spacehog - Spacehog

6962. The Grateful Dead - We Can Run

3732. Mastodon - Hearts Alive

2959 Johann Sebastian Bach - BWV 225 - Singet dem Herrn ein neues Lied

6963. Lita Ford - Betrayal

6348. Lightning Seeds - Pure