821 ( The Charlie Daniels Band - The Legend of Wooley Swamp )

821 ( The Charlie Daniels Band - The Legend of Wooley Swamp )











This song just popped into my mind yesterday and I had not heard it in well over ten years. I immediately had to look it up YouTube, sure enough it was there. It was one of the Country-Rock crossover songs from the late 70s/early '80s; I listened to this song quite a bit while growing up. The music itself is more Southern Rock than Country in my opinion with awesome guitars and bass line.
I absolutely love songs that tell stories; this one is a ghost story written in the old-time folklore fashion. It is about a greedy old man named Lucius Clay who lived in a swamp and buried his money. A bunch of young punks killed the man for his money but end up dying themselves. As the story goes, ever since the spirits of the dead men still roam the swamp.

Here is the studio version in a fan video on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: The Doors - Strange Days
My song pick two years ago today: Argent - Hold Your Head Up

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)