806 ( Rush - Bastille Day )

806 ( Rush - Bastille Day )
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fa/Rush_Caress_of_Steel.jpg

I had a couple of other songs in mind to pick this morning, but for some reason I felt like posting one of Rush's earlier songs. I love the fresh sound of these early albums; there is a lot of energy and youthful angst in this music. This song was off of one of their more commercially unsuccessful albums: Caress of Steel, which technically contained only five songs, three of which were less than 5 minutes in length. Progressive Rock bands back in the `70's were just getting warmed up at the 10 minute mark in most cases.
As with all of their songs, the music is quite complex; this is one of their tracks that I refer to as a "whiplash" song because because of the stops and starts in the instrumental section. One of my favorite aspects of this one for me is hearing Geddy Lee stretch his vocal chords to almost a scream at times.

Hear Bastille Day on YouTube.
Here is a live performance of the song from '76 on YouTube.


My song pick a year ago today: #434 The Steve Miller Band - Brave New World
My song pick two years ago today: #66 C.W. McCall - Convoy

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)