Song 136 (The Kinks--"Waterloo Sunset")



I did not have a song in my mind on this busy day, so I spun my playlist and found this one. This song is actually the one that got me heavily into their music. Before this I only knew them for their real big hits and either I did not know their more progressive material or I thought it was someone else playing those songs.
Anyway, this song is very introspective and I love how Ray Davies vividly describes what he sees and how what he sees makes him think of and feel; there are few songwriters who can do this well in my opinion. After doing some research and seeing a documentary on them I did not realize that they were banned in America during the early to mid '60's when many British Invasion band were making their mark. A lot of their music took a more British feel than the rest of their British Invasion counterparts because of it. It is odd because a lot of the acts I listen to sight The Kinks as one of their biggest influences, so I guess that they did get more attention from musicians at least.

Here is the abbreviated studio version on YouTube.
Here is a music video on YouTube.
Here is a live performance on YouTube.

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)