Song 218 (The Bee Gees--"New York Mining Disaster 1941")

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d6/Bee_Gees%27_1st.jpg

This is one of those songs that I have not heard in a while, but for some reason today I was thinking of it so I decided to pick it. I have always liked this song and I really like the vocal harmonies they use. Anyway, this was one of the Bee Gees first big hits in the U.S. and the sound is very different from what many people would think of when they think of the Bee Gees. The sound is somewhat reminiscent of the Beatles and actually from what I understand a lot people thought it was the Beatles playing on this song under a pseudonym. From what I understand, the song itself was inspired by a mining disaster in Aberfan, Wales in ’66.

Here is a recording of the song on YouTube.
Here is a live performance circa '75 on YouTube.
Here is a more recent live performance on YouTube.

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn