940 ( The Box Tops - The Letter )

940 ( The Box Tops - The Letter )
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/TheLetterNeonRainbow.jpg

Last night I found out that sing/writer/musician Alex Chilton passed away at the age of 59. Apparently he died in a New Orleans hospital after experiencing heart problems; there is an excellent writeup found on BBC.com.
Anyway, I figured that I should choose a song that is the most memorable for me that he performed on; Alex Chilton did the lead vocals on this song as a member of The Box Tops, although this song was actually written by Wayne Carson Thompson. I especially love the rhythm section and beat of this song along with the gravely vocals. I only wish the song was at least double the length; 2:00 is just too short. After his tenure with The Box Tops he went on to a solo career, forming the group Big Star, as well as a few other acts.
I guess there is another "Big Star" in The Heavens. Okay that was just too cheeseball!

Here is the studio version on YouTube.
Here is a live performance from 2001 on YouTube.


My song pick a year ago today: Azteca - Mazatlan
My song pick two years ago today: Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR) - Have You Ever Seen the Rain?

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn