6920. Dolly Parton - Coat of Many Colors

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61yGYjfP1KL._SX522_.jpg
From: Coat of Many Colors; Year: 1971; Genre: Country
Along with many others yesterday I was shocked when I heard of Dolly Parton's passing. However, with how private she was about her personal life it was no shock that she kept her cancer battle out of the headlines, and rightly so.
Anyway, I refer to Dolly's music personally and "Mom Music" because she was among her biggest fans over the years and this is one of my Mom's favourite songs that she wrote.
This one is autobiographical and tells the story of how she grew up in extreme poverty and her mother had to sew together some fabric remnants to make her a winter coat. As she made the rags into a coat her mother recited the story of Joseph from The Bible, which made it all the more special. However, the other children ridiculed her for wearing such a coat and tried to tell them about how special it was, but it seemed they would not listen.
She brings the song to a perfect close with her profound statement: "That one is only poor only if they choose to be [...] Now I know we had no money but I was rich as I could be In my coat of many colors my Momma made for me...."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 7 years ago today: Finntroll - Midvinterdraken

My song pick 8 years ago today: Jethro Tull - Night in the Wilderness

My song pick 9 years ago today: Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez

My song pick 10 years ago today: Larry Graham & Graham Central Station - Entrow

My song pick 11 years ago today: Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance

My song pick 12 years ago today: Genesis - Duchess

My song pick 13 years ago today: ABBA - Arrival

My song pick 14 year ago today: Barenaked Ladies - The Old Apartment

My song pick 15 years ago today: The Rolling Stones - 100 Years Ago

My song pick 16 years ago today: Eisbrecher - Mein Blut

My song pick 17 years ago today: Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO) - Lookin' Out For #1

My song pick 18 years ago today: Rammstein - Sonne
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6915. Starfoxx - Oh Linda

6917. Aphrodite's Child - Rain and Tears

Theme Picks

6916. Squeeze - Tempted

6919. Dazz Band - Straight Out Of School

6914. Les Claypool's Duo De Twang - Man in the Box

6911. Jerry Reed - You Took All the Ramblin' Out of Me