Song 368 ( John Denver - Jimmy Newman )

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51NMNwQcTHL.jpg













A few years back I found this record for sale in a local music store; because it was a John Denver record that was not in my collection I bought it, but when I first played this record I was surprised. Most of the music on this album is very different in so many aspects compared to his more popular material; most of this album is quite cynical and dark.

This song from the pen of Tom Paxton is about a couple of soldiers who were severely wounded and are now getting ready to be sent home, but one wakes up to find the other dead and cannot come to terms with it.
Anyway, this song is incredibly dynamic in how it starts with just vocals and acoustic guitar and as then as it goes on more and more instruments come in. Probably one of the best aspects for me is how his vocals start out sunny and happy and by the end of the song his vocals are panicky and frantic. I love the masterful way that he mixes major and minor chords and strumming technique to build the anxiety in this one.

Here is a video with the studio version on YouTube.

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade