Song 224 (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles—“Tears of a Clown”)



I heard this song on the radio the other day and I had realized that I had not picked this amazing track yet. It is easily one of my top 100 favourite songs, so it would make sense that it would end up here on my blog. Other than the amazing musicianship by The Funk Brothers that came with every Motown song, I really like Smokey’s vocals a lot; I have always been a big Smokey Robinson fan. Another aspect that I like is the subject matter of the song: putting a happy facade on even when you are being torn apart inside. Like a clown performing and having to hide his true emotions; I love that they reference the opera Pagliacci (which has a similar story line), in the lyrics of the song.

Here is a recording of the song on YouTube.
Here is a television performance on YouTube.

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade