1746 Rush - Subdivisions

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51q0uaguBaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
From: Signals; Year: 1982; Genre: Hard Rock/Progressive Rock
Over the last few weeks every time I've gone about my day wearing my old, worn out Rush 2112 t-shirt I've had at least one person comment on my great taste in music. It usually leads to a 15-20 minute conversation about the band and their music. To tell the truth, it's actually been quite nice being able to strike up conversations with total strangers about music we like in common. Most of the time in the past I'd have to hear from people, mostly those into mainstream pop and related genres, saying all sorts of crap about Rush being 'overrated' and then act like their kind of mainstream pop is under attack and so misunderstood or something like that. What amazes me how someone could be into mainstream music that is loved universally by the media outlets and then have the audacity to claim that bands that have actually never caught a break from the media are the ones being mollycoddled. Ugh! In the last few years I've developed a 'whatever' or 'go "F---" yourself' mentality concerning people of that ilk; they really aren't the types of people I would want to spend my free time with anyway.
Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.
Anyway, I have a lot of songs from this band that I would characterize as favourites, which is far too many to count, but suffice it to say this track is among them. This song really has something for everybody with excellent music and awesome, deep lyrics to name a couple of good aspects. Hell, even people who only dig mainstream pop would probably like this one; just don't tell them they're listening to Rush and it'll be okay.
I really like how they utilized the often-maligned keyboard synth in this one, especially that bass growl when the song starts. I remember back when I first learned to play this song on the bass guitar; I played the synth part as well when the bass guitar is not present and added the keyboard's harmony notes; it actually wasn't that difficult and I think it sounded pretty good. One day when at college I was goofing around with that line when a drum teacher popped his head in the room I was practicing in, he told me with a grin on his face: "Okay, quit scaring my students away." He was really cool actually and a huge Rush fan to boot; he even gave me a few playing tips as well.
Okay, it's either really late, or really early, so I'm off to get some sleep. Catch you all Monday!

Here is the music video on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - K. 525, Serenade No. 13 for Strings in G major "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"

My song pick two years ago today: Foreigner - Starrider

My song pick three years ago today: The Who - The Real Me

My song pick four years ago today: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Lucky Man

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn