Song 205 (Johann Sebastian Bach--"BWV 645-Wachet auf ruft uns die Stimme")

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Johann_Sebastian_Bach.jpg/440px-Johann_Sebastian_Bach.jpg

Happy Easter everyone!
Today I played a rendition of this song on my bass at church along with a rendition of Amazing Grace ala Jaco Pastorius and Victor Wooten. Funny enough when my brother-in-law and sister brought my practice amp in so I could have some amplification an elder in the church told me on no uncertain terms: "If that thing gets too loud I am leaving!" I respect the guy, but I was playing to my Saviour today, not him. I think the 15 inch speaker scared him; (maybe next time I will bring my Ampeg stack and scare the crap out of him ;P.) I then went over to the church piano and hit a loud "C" chord and matched my amp to the volume; he did not leave at least and everyone else enjoyed it a lot and I had a good time playing it.

Anyway, this is one of J.S. Bach’s best choral compositions that is just amazing, I really love how the melody is played higher and the lead is played lower in this one. Another interesting piece of trivia is that Procol Harum "borrowed" some of the music from this piece and J.S. Bach’s composition "Air, BWV 1068" for the organ music on Whiter Shade Of Pale, this is an excellent song for today that was begging to be chosen.

Here is a performance of the piece by T. Koopman on the pipe organ on YouTube.
There are quite a few more fantastic examples available on YouTube as well.

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn