Song 195 (Lou Reed--"Walk on the Wild Side")

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/dd/41/5a20b220dca0720b86476010.L._SX300_.jpg

I have been picking too many happy songs lately, so I needed to pick something different. When I was listening to this song yesterday I though that it would be a good pick. Lou Reed is another very influential singer/musician/songwriter that usually does not receive a lot of credit that he deserves.
Probably what I like the most about this song is the arrangements, I especially like the twin bass lines going on, one on an acoustic string bass and the other on an electric bass guitar; the saxophone is quite nice as well. The subject matter is a bit extreme but still good, singing about thinks like drug abuse and alternative lifestyles has always been Lou Reed’s moniker. Though a turn-off to many, I do not believe that the subject matter is that much of a detractor to the song in my opinion because he does not gratuitously flaunt it.
What is amazing is that I have shown this song to many people who have heard it before but not listened closely to the lyrics, they are usually shocked by the lyrics when they are pay attention to them. Oddly enough, after 35+ years since the recording it is now being censored more than ever, the second verse sometimes is completely omitted on the radio.

Here is the uncensored studio version on YouTube.

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn