From: End of the World ; Year: 1968; Genre: Psychedelic Rock From time to time I go back to Aphrodite's Child and their gorgeous music; I'm glad I did last night once more. Rain and Tears , which was their first big hit and was particularly popular in Italy and across northern Europe; I do not know how it did on this side of "The Pond," but if it didn't we really missed out. Evangelos Papathanassiou (aka Vangelis) and Boris Bergman wrote this piece around the overly used motif of Johann Pachelbel's famous Canon in D, P.37 . Immediately you will recognize the melody, but once they start to introduce and reintroduce their themes and vocals, their musical masterwork embellishes around the skeletal motif into something really amazing and beautiful. I cannot help but keep on resetting the needle over again and again. Hear Rain and Tears on YouTube. My song pick 1 year ago today: Pearl Jam - Why Go My song pick 2 years ago today: James Brown -...
From: Movements Vol.10 ; Year: 2020 (1976); Genre: Funk/Rock I could not remember if I had chosen a song from Volume 10 of the Movements compilation album series, but even if I already have, this is another great song from it. I have to say, ever since I discovered Tobias Kirmayer's compilations it has been a deep and seemingly endless well of some amazing music that I normally would not have been introduced to! This one is/was the final song on the album that was written and recorded by a funk rock band from Atlanta, Georgia by the name of Starfoxx. They apparently scored a couple of hits in the mid-late 1970s. Honestly, I have never heard of them prior, but, as I've said: better late than never; and glad I did. Hear Oh Linda on YouTube. My song pick 1 year ago today: The Rolling Stones - Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) My song pick 2 years ago today: Eric Clapton featuring Tina Turner - Tearing Us Apart My song pick 3 years a...
This list contains links to my theme weeks and other odd themes that I sometimes do. I highly doubt that it is complete; as I remember/rediscover other themes that I have done in the past I will add them to this list. I guess I should've made this list a long time ago, it would've saved a lot of hassle. My Theme Weeks (in chronological order): Canadian artist theme week - A week of songs from Canadian artists. Truck driving song theme week - A week of picks that featured song about or related to truck driving. Music I like that others I know do not like theme week - Kind of self-explanatory. "The Five" workweek theme - One song from each member of a group of Russian composers known as "The Five:" Mily Balakirev, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Modest Mussorgsky, César Cui, and Alexander Borodin. Eric Clapton theme week - A week of songs that feature Eric Clapton. "Moon" song theme week - A week of songs with "Moon" in the ti...
From: East Side Story ; Year: 1981; Genre: New Wave Yet another song that I was sure I already had chosen.... Truthfully, I have known this song very well for a long time, but never looked in to who it was exactly that recorded it. Actually, the English new wave band Squeeze was and is quite popular, just more so in Britain of course, but had a few other hits over here. Hear Tempted on YouTube. My song pick 1 year ago today: Larry Graham & Graham Central Station - Easy Rider My song pick 2 years ago today: Modest Petrovitch Mussorgsky - Misunderstood One My song pick 3 years ago today: Rush - Face Up My song pick 4 years ago today: Jigsaw - Baby Don't Do It My song pick 5 years ago today: Clifford Brown and Max Roach - Sandu My song pick 6 years ago today: Rush - Between Sun & Moon My song pick 7 years ago today: Styx - Superstars My song pick 8 years ago today: Kajagoogoo - Too Shy ...
From: Joystick ; Year: 1983; Genre: Funk/R&B/Electronica Another day of picking a band whose music was playing in my mind a lot. I really like this piece of funky electronica; such great music and a groove to die for. Hear Straight Out Of School on YouTube. My song pick 1 year ago today: Jethro Tull - The Chequered Flag (Dead or Alive) My song pick 2 years ago today: The Motels - Only the Lonely My song pick 3 years ago today: Brick - Dusic My song pick 4 years ago today: Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO) - Just For You My song pick 5 years ago today: The Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue My song pick 6 years ago today: Rage Against the Machine - Beautiful World My song pick 7 years ago today: ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man My song pick 8 years ago today: Midnight Oil - Put Down That Weapon My song pick 9 years ago today: Dayton Sidewinders - Funky Chicken Stew My song pick 10 years ago today...
From: Coat of Many Colors ; Year: 1971; Genre: Country Along with many others yesterday I was shocked when I heard of Dolly Parton's passing. However, with how private she was about her personal life it was no shock that she kept her cancer battle out of the headlines, and rightly so. Anyway, I refer to Dolly's music personally and "Mom Music" because she was among her biggest fans over the years and this is one of my Mom's favourite songs that she wrote. This one is autobiographical and tells the story of how she grew up in extreme poverty and her mother had to sew together some fabric remnants to make her a winter coat. As she made the rags into a coat her mother recited the story of Joseph from The Bible, which made it all the more special. However, the other children ridiculed her for wearing such a coat and tried to tell them about how special it was, but it seemed they would not listen. She brings the song to a perfect close with her profound statement: ...
From: Hot A' Mighty! ; Year: 1973; Genre: Country/Rock Mr. Reed will always be an artist that really is difficult to pigeon-hole into a single genre, which is true of the majority of "pickers." Basically pickers were wot people referred to your more "down home" guitar/stringed virtuosos that came out of the folky styles of music like folk, blues, country, and early rock 'n roll. Jerry Reed is probably best-known for fusing country with funk and rock, which he perfected. Anyway, this one, whilst primarily is country, you can hear and feel him taking pieces from across the musical spectrum to masterfully assemble this one. Lyrically/vocally he does his normal great delivery is such an upbeat and happy way. Hear You Took All the Ramblin' Out of Me on YouTube. My song pick 1 year ago today: Pink Floyd - Echoes My song pick 2 years ago today: Journey - Faithfully My song pick 3 years ago today: Elton John - The Bitch Is Back My...
Comments
Post a Comment
Comment on this post: