770 ( Alan Menken and Howard Ashman - Feed Me (Git It) ) (From Little Shop of Horrors)

770 ( Alan Menken and Howard Ashman - Feed Me (Git It) ) (From Little Shop of Horrors)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Little_shop_of_horrors.jpg

Well, it is late and this song has been running through my mind off and on for a couple of weeks now for a couple of reasons, so what the hell, I like this song and the memories attached so I am adding it to my list.
There are a couple of reasons that I am choosing this one: When I was coming home the other night I was following someone in a newer model pickup truck with a DVD playing on one of those little flip-down screens. When we came to a stop light I was able to see that they were watching Little Shop of Horrors. And about a month ago a close friend of mine succumbed to cancer after an arduous battle with the disease. After seeing the film being played I remembered a conversation that I once had with my departed friend.
I once noticed that he had personalized license plates that read SEYMOUR, and I asked him about them. He said that he originally wanted OUTHOUSE as his plate, but the state refused to give it to him because of the reference to an outdoor toilet. He finally decided on one of his old nick-names: Seymour. He told me that some of his old friends called him that because he supposedly looked like the caracter Sinister Seymour from the Fright Night late-night television program.
For those who are not acquainted with it, it was a program that featured low-budget Sci-fi and Horror films in which Sinister Seymour would make rude and off-beat comments about it and the viewing audience whilst it was playing. There is an audio track from parts of the show here on YouTube.
Apparently he had this same conversation many times in the past and he told me that not very many knew about the "Seymour" character that he was talking about and they mistakenly thought that he was referring to the Seymour from Little Shop of Horrors; he would usually just play along with them and not try to explain it further because they obviously were not going to get it. From that time on any time I saw the movie or heard one of the songs from it, I would remember my conversation with him.
Funny enough while I was in college, there was a course that I was taking that assigned a research paper on the song writing duo Alan Menken and Howard Ashman; Little Shop of Horrors was one of the main subjects in my paper. This was my favourite song in the entire film, which featured the awesome vocal talent of Levi Stubbs, best known as The Four Tops' lead singer, voicing Audrey II (the plant).

Here is the song on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR) - Who'll Stop The Rain
My song pick two year ago today: Triumph - Lay It On The Line

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade