999 Nena - 99 Luftballons

999 Nena - 99 Luftballons
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6c/Nena_-_Nena_Album_-_Cover.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/99luftballons.jpg

I figured with it being my 999th song pick, this aptly named hit from the German Pop/Rock group Nena would be perfect for the occasion. Many over here on this side of "the pond" actually refer to Nena as a "one hit wonder" with this song said to be their only hit. For being a one hit band, it is odd that I can name 5 other songs off of the top of my head that were hits: Irgendwie Irgendwo Irgendwann, Feuer und Flamme, Leuchtturm, Rette Mich, and Nur Geträumt; if I thought about it I could probably name more.
Anyway, this one was originally released on their '83 self-titled debut album as well as the ' 84 album of the song's namesake, which also had on it an English version of the song titled 99 Red Balloons. From what I understand them using the title 99 Red Balloons worked better with the lyrical scheme in English.
Oddly enough because of the English version's title I have noticed many people who don't know the language erroneously believe that the word Luft means Red in German. Luft actually is the word for Air in German; the German word for Red is actually Rot. In this context Luftballons essentially refers to rubber toy balloons; there is a little Deutsch 101 for you today.
Wow, this is my final three-digit song pick; on to four digits!

Here is the music video on YouTube.
Heris the Red Balloons English version on YouTube.
Here is a live performance on YouTube.


My song pick a year ago today: Rainbow - Street of Dreams
My song pick two years ago today: Van Morrison - Moondance

+

Comments

  1. Gosh I was doing a work placement in Germany when Nena was the biggest thing since sliced bread. Not listened to this album in the 29 intervening years, though it sounds a tad dated by the then new all singing & dancing electronic instrumentation that was being experimented with by so many bands at the time it brings back many happy memories of racing around Wolfsburg in a GTi and hitch hicking across the rest of Germany while I was working at Wolfsburg.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade