1947 Rush - Red Sector A

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rEE6G1QCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
From: Grace Under Pressure; Year: 1984; Genre: Hard Rock
Yesterday I happened to have this song play on my iPod; even though I'm a big fan of their music I hadn't heard it for a spell and it brought it back to my attention. Out of a lot of their music this, in my opinion, is one of their most powerful songs, at least subject matter wise; almost every time I hear this song it gives me a bit of a chill. Musically, this one is very much like its siblings from their mid '80s synth-driven materiel.
Now, when I first heard it the lyrics painted a rather gloomy and depressing picture and I really didn't really think that much of it at the time because more than a few of their songs, many of which are also on this album, have similar subject matter. However, I was curious and later found out that it was actually inspired by the horrific experience by both of Geddy Lee's parents had in the concentration camps during The Holocaust. Apparently Neil Peart heard about their stories and the stories of other survivors and wrote the song from their hopeless perspective and how they thought humanity and civilization had crumbled. From what I understand most of the songs were on a similar theme on purpose to thematically fit the title of the album: Grace Under Pressure.
Anyway, it is interesting to have such a personal song from a band whose members are usually very private; I often wonder if Geddy Lee ever had problems singing lyrics that hit so close to home.

Hear Red Sector A on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Muse - Exogenesis: Symphony Parts 1,2, and 3

My song pick two years ago today: Hawkwind - Spirit of the Age

My song pick three years ago today: Stuart Hamm - Flow My Tears

My song pick four years ago today: Nightwish - I Wish I Had An Angel

My song pick five years ago today: Stevie Ray Vaughan - Pride and Joy


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade