998 Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

998 Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/Citytocity.jpg

At almost 1000 song in it seems as if I am regularly looking at what songs I have already picked every time I think of a song to choose; I truly cannot believe that I have not chosen this track yet.
My dad has a penchant for buying "super hit" records with various artists on them. Oddly enough, one of his favourites contained the two hits off of Gerry Rafferty's City to City album: Right Down The Line and Baker Street; he played them both a lot. After I left home I ended up buying the City to City album at a thrift store for about .50¢.
The song is probably best known for Raphael Ravenscroft's saxophone solos. It was supposedly written about what Gerry Rafferty experienced around the famous Baker Street area in London; the street is the same one made famous in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes Mysteries. Also a few years prior Jethro Tull released the song Baker St. Muse, in which Ian Anderson wrote about what he saw/experienced there as well. I have often wondered if one inspired characters in the other's song.

Here is a music video with the full studio version on YouTube.


My song pick a year ago today: Scorpions - Rhythm of Love
My song pick two years ago today: Supertramp - Bloody Well Right

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade