1648 Dire Straits - Money for Nothing

1648 Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/44/8f/70cd9833e7a0e4c6ae9a0110.L._AA300_.jpg
From: Brothers in Arms, Year: 1985
Genre: Rock

Last night whilst I was on the road I had the radio on and this song happened to come on; I was taken aback when I heard them mute certain words out. I mean, for crying out loud in the dead of the night, I've been listening to this song for nearly 30 years and only now those clodding pillocks have decided that some words that've been fine in the past are now too strong to hear on the radio even at 1:00 in the morning. Yeah, I know that the word in question is derogatory to certain people, but taken in the context of it being spoken by an ignorant man critiquing a rock star and not a group of people I personally see no issue with it.
I've been noticing this has been getting worse and many songs that have been played unedited for over 40 years have all of a sudden been censored all to hell; yeah, freedom of speech my foot!
I just wonder if they're thinking about applying this witch hunt to other genres as well; often times when in traffic I end up being serenaded by people blasting profanity-laced music. If they applied these new rules globally those songs would end up being mostly comprised of dead air.
Anyway, here's one final thought to end my rant with: when you get offended by something and want to deprive someone of what they like, then you should remember that there are things that you probably like that others are offended of and they might like to have what you like censored as well. Just some food for thought.
Okay, off of my soapbox now.

Watch the music video on YouTube. And yes it's the original unedited version; if you're offended then please, by all means direct your browser elsewhere.



My song pick a year ago today: ABBA - S.O.S.

My song pick two years ago today: Bobby Bare - The Winner

My song pick three years ago today: Pearl Jam - Even Flow

My song pick four years ago today: Bon Jovi - It's My Life

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn