1647 Dream Theater - On the Backs of Angels

1647 Dream Theater - On the Backs of Angels
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51oPwHgSFHL._AA300_.jpg
From: A Dramatic Turn of Events, Year: 2011
Genre: Progressive Metal

Yesterday Max informed me that Dream Theater was nominated for a Grammy Award for this song and he picked it as well. He probably said something about it earlier and it slipped my mind; I've never really followed award shows, so it's not a real surprise.
Of course, as expected for any band with the 'Progressive' label bestowed upon them, they didn't win and instead it went to The Foo Fighters. They probably did deserve winning it and I do like The Foo Fighters, so not all's bad; with that being said, however, I've grown to dislike Dave Grohl.
Who knows, maybe getting nominated and not getting an award is some sort of 'cred' for a 'Prog' band, although I usually find that bands such as Dream Theater do what they do not with awards in mind, but for the music and, of course, their fans.
What I do find odd is that the get a little recognition for song that in my opinion is far from their best, and only now with this track do they get some acknowledgement. I can all but guarantee, however, that if Dream Theater would've won, it most likely would have been another one of those 'shocking' and 'scandalous' Grammy moments.

Hear On the Backs of Angels on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Hawkwind - Right to Decide

My song pick two years ago today: Survivor - The Eye of the Tiger

My song pick three years ago today: The Black Crowes - Remedy

My song pick four years ago today: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Fire (I am the god of Hellfire)

+

Comments

  1. I'm with you, it's not even one of the strongest tracks on that same record.

    My theory is that some Academy voter heard the lines "Content to feed off the machine/Bleeding us to death/The new American dream" and thought "Oooh! A political statement! We LOVE those!", not having a clue that they're normally not that political.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you totally hit nail right on the head. The only thing I might add is how they've gained in popularity in recent years along with Rush and a couple of other bands of the progressive nature. Hell, Ian Anderson just recently stated that Dream Theater in particular is responsible for helping to create an environment where Jethro Tull's more progressive material can flourish.

      Delete
    2. Here's Ian's quote concerning his new solo album:
      "The era of professional media Prog-bashing seems to have given way to a more appreciative appraisal of the genre and newer bands such as Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree and Spock's Beard have possibly prompted a new and younger audience to re-examine the seventies originators' seminal albums too."

      Delete
    3. Nice to see him also reference Porcupine Tree directly. I think you know how high on that band I am.

      Delete
    4. Funny enough Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree performed the mixing on Ian's new Thick as a Brick 2 album. Here is a blurb about the project from Steve Wilson:
      "I recently had the pleasure of mixing the new Ian Anderson / Jethro Tull album, which is a follow up to the classic Thick as a Brick album from 1972. TAAB2 is very much in the tradition of the first album, a continuous 54 minute concept piece with a similar musical palette and style. It's just been officially announced for release in April as a CD/DVD (including a 5.1 mix and stereo in high res), more details on the Tull website. I also completed mixes for a 40th anniversary surround sound edition of the original Thick as a Brick, though not sure when that is coming out."

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade