1740 The Steve Miller Band - The Joker

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61xBjuuZsvL._AA300_.jpg
From: The Joker; Year: 1973; Genre: Rock
I had this track running through my mind off and on for the last couple of days and I figured I would pick it today.
I've seen this song being mislabeled most of the time; even through official sources, I believe it's mostly because of the opening lyrics: "Some call me the Space Cowboy; Some call me The Gangster of Love." In actuality, both of those titles, which the song most often gets referred to, were 'shout outs', if you will, to songs that Steve Miller had already released years before. Actually the next line: "Some people call me Maurice" is also another reference to one of his songs: Enter Maurice, which can found here on YouTube. A live version of The Gangster of Love can be found here on YouTube, and Space Cowboy can be found on YouTube as well. I've often found this rather irksome, but what can you do other than educate the uneducated?
Anyway, even though this one suffers more than a bit from overplay on the radio and other sources, I still like it a lot. That nice groove combined with the cute and inventive lyrics make this one an awesome track in my opinion.

Hear The Joker on YouTube.
Here is a music video on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Elvenking - The Wanderer

My song pick two years ago today: Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

My song pick three years ago today: Scorpions - Rhythm of Love

My song pick four years ago today: Supertramp - Bloody Well Right

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn