1743 George Frideric Handel - HWV 57 - Samson

HWV. 57; Year: 1743; Genre: Baroque Period/classical
Handel's masterpiece oratorio Samson, which was based on John Milton's drama Samson Agonistes, first premiered in the year 1743 and happened to be the same as my song number pick today, so I decided I would choose it.
Handel seemed to be quite a busy man during the early 1740s; another one of his oratorios, the epic and well-known The Messiah (HWV. 56) had just premiered a year or so prior. Even though he has a huge list of great composition, which is longer than many others', his name is synonymous with The Messiah. Today if you asked someone to name one of his pieces they would of course say something like: "Oh yeah, Handel's Messiah!"; there is no mistaking that it is by far his most famous piece, and rightfully so. If you listen to this one and have already heard The Messiah, you'll hear more than a few similarities between the two pieces. However, there are quite a few of his works that I absolutely adore; this being one of them.
Samson is a-typical of the late Baroque Period: it's big, loud, and grabs your attention just as much as any of the other works of the period. Now that I think about it, I guess that is my only real criticism I have of Handel's works: he didn't stray too far from what was popular. You could say the same of many other composers of any period; just like today you have to go where the money is unless you want to be a 'starving musician.'

Many of the songs contained in the oratorio can be found here on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Argent - God Gave Rock and Roll to You

My song pick two years ago today: Dio - Killing the Dragon

My song pick three years ago today: ABBA - Me and I

My song pick four years ago today: Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn