1959 Miles Davis - Green in Blue

From: Kind of Blue; Year: 1959; Genre: Modal Jazz
With today's pick number I had a quandary; there's a lot of good music released in the year 1959; (suffice it to say I have a lot of future picks of songs from that year). However, I then remembered that '59 was the year Miles Davis recorded and released arguably one of, if not the most influential jazz album of all time: Kind of Blue. While I've heard many, many artists citing this album as one of their main inspirations and had it described as, and I'm paraphrasing here, like The Bible: every house seems to have a copy of it, Miles Davis himself seemed to not be as enthusiastic about it looking back on it. Perhaps that's the way that pioneers on the cutting edge of even the definition of music itself look at their past work; they're always looking for what's new. In my opinion, no matter what you think of his personality, you have to admit the man had more talent and originality in his fingernails than most artists have in their bodies throughout their entire careers.

Hear Green in Blue on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Tarot - Midwinter Nights

My song pick two years ago today: Henry Mancini - A Shot in the Dark

My song pick three years ago today: Finntroll - Jaktens Tid

My song pick four years ago today: Band of Horses - St. Augustine

My song pick five years ago today: Dan Fogelberg - Leader of the Band


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade