864 ( ABBA - Happy New Year )

864 ( ABBA - Happy New Year )
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1c/ABBA_-_Super_Trouper_%28Polar%29.jpg

Happy New Year and New Decade! ABBA's Happy New Year seemed obviously perfect for the occasion. I almost picked it on New Year's Day for the last two years, but it usually slipped my mind. This song song was also chosen by Woordenaar this time last year on his song a day blog.
I cannot count the amount of times I have heard this song, I remember growing up with a lot of ABBA's music around me; my dad is a big fan of their music and played all of their albums quite a bunch. Even though this is really a seasonal tune it is still a nice song to hear year around as well.
Anyway, the album Super Trouper was recorded in early 1980 and this song is about the turning of a decade from the 70's to the 80's as well as a new year, is quite sentimental and introspective in the lyrics. The third verse seems especially appropriate, being that it is a new decade as well:
"Seems to me now
that the dreams we had before
are all dead, nothing more
than confetti on the floor
It's the end of a decade
In another ten years time
Who can say what we'll find
what lies waiting down the line
in the end of eighty-nine"

Damn, 1989 was over 20 years ago...

Here is the studio version with lyrics on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: U2 - New Year's Day
My song pick two years ago today: Kiss - Shout It Out Loud

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn