871 ( Karussell - Schattenkreuze )

871 ( Karussell - Schattenkreuze )
For over the last eight to ten years I have been trying to discover bands from Europe that we do not see in the states. One of the countries that seems to have produce a lot of the music I find appealing is Germany. It is odd that when I find a band from Germany that I like, (I would say that about 80% of the time), they are from the old East Germany or if it's a new band they have members who grew up there; Karussell is one of the former.
All of the information I have found about them is from sites in written German, so finding out about them has been difficult and is forcing me to become more fluent in the language. From what I understand they actually came out of the dissolution of a band called Renft that had been banned in the GDR. Another interesting tidbit that I found is that the band had a lot of turnover over the years; some of that turnover was due to members making their way into the West. After reunification the band apparently broke up, but has come back together off and on since.
Anyway, this was one of the first songs of theirs that I heard and immediately fell in love with. I especially love the counter-line on fretless bass and the vocals; it is such a beautifully constructed song.

Here is the studio version on YouTube.


My song pick a year ago today: The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
My song pick two years ago today: Arlo Guthrie - City of New Orleans

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)