879 ( Cab Calloway & The Harlemaniacs - The Reefer Man )

879 ( Cab Calloway & The Harlemaniacs - The Reefer Man )
I needed some big band music from Cab Calloway this morning. He was such an amazing bandleader, singer, musician, dancer, entertainer, etc....
I guess I will file this number about a man high on marijuana under the category of "nothing new under the sun." I often wonder how many of these older entertainers kept a straight face when the younger generations were trying to be "edgy." This is just one example out of a plethora of songs over 70 years old with what some today would call extreme subject matter; nothing put out in the years since has really tackled that much that is new.

Here is a recording of the song on YouTube.
Here is a performance from the film International House on YouTube.


My song pick a year ago today: Diana Ross and the Supremes - Reflections
My song pick two years ago today: Quarterflash - Harden my Heart

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)