1140 Sammy Davis Jr. - Mr. Bojangles

1140 Sammy Davis Jr. - Mr. Bojangles

Been having this song run through my mind for the past few days; Sammy Davis Jr.'s rendition is one of my favourite versions of this often recorded track.
It was originally written and recorded by Jerry Jeff Walker in the late 1960s. Many people have believe that this song was written about the famous Dancer/Entertainer Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, but from what I understand this is not the case. Apparently Jerry Jeff Walker was put in jail for public drunkenness with a bunch of others. One of the men in the jail cell gave a name of "Mr. Bojangles" to hide his true name; the song essentially is a chronicle of some of the interactions and events that happened in the jail cell with "Mr. Bojangles."

Watch a television performance of the song on YouTube.


My song pick a year ago today: John Denver - Blues My Naughty

My song pick two years ago today: Rush - Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres

My song pick three years ago today: Rush - YYZ

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade