1158 Dizzy Gillespie - Manteca

1158 Dizzy Gillespie - Manteca

I noticed that today would have been Dizzy Gillespie's 93rd birthday; I was in the mood for some Jazz today anyway, so here is an awesome piece where he fused Afro-Cuban influences into his form of Bop.
Dizzy has always been one of my favourite Jazz musicians; my dad exposed me to his music early on. I can still remember watching him play live on the television; I am still amazed by the sheer velocity he could play at.

Hear Manteca on YouTube.
Watch part one of Manteca from the Dizzy and Friends concert from Havana '85; featuring Arturo Sandoval on YouTube.
Watch part two of Manteca from the Dizzy and Friends concert from Havana '85; featuring Arturo Sandoval on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Iron Maiden - Sun and Steel

My song pick two years ago today: Deep Purple - Knocking At Your Back Door

My song pick three years ago today: Slade - Cum On Feel The Noize

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade