Song 369 ( Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No.5 in D-Major, BWV 1050 )

Well, this is the one year anniversary of the start of my song blog, I have decided that I will choose another song by an artist that I chose for my first week.



For my first pick ever on my Song a Day Blog, I chose J.S. Bach's Second Brandenburg Concerto, which is my second favourite of his Brandenburg Concertos. So, for today I decided that I should choose my favourite one. What this one is mostly known for is extended harpsichord solo (Cadenza). Before this the concept of a concerto was known as the Concerto Grosso, which was a piece of music played by two contrasting groups of musicians, the larger being the one that played the theme and the smaller being the soloist. With this concerto J.S. Bach all but did away with this form by using the extended cadenza; this has still carried on to this day in some form. You can thank or blame J.S. Bach in part every time a you hear a bombastic guitar solo.

Here is the entire piece performed by the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra:
Here is the first movement, (Allegro) on YouTube.
Here is the Second movement, (Affettuoso) on YouTube.
Here is the Third movement, (Allegro) on YouTube.

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade