913 ( Wilson Pickett - Hey Jude )

913 ( Wilson Pickett - Hey Jude )
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LMwjN2pQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

For some reason I have been in a Soul mood this morning mostly the Funky sounds of Wilson Pickett have been dominating my attention.
This is the legendary cover of The Beatles classic which not only was a hit for Wilson Pickett, but also launched the career one renowned guitarist: Duane Allman. From what I understand his performance on guitar also caught the attention of Eric Clapton who ended up having him play the lead guitar on "Layla."
I love how they arranged this song to not be just a cover, but really made the song their own. Adding so much power and soul then having a beautiful and tasteful guitar solo at the end instead of regaling us with the tortuous 4 minutes of "na na na hey Jude" that we either have to endure or just skip.

Here is the studio version on YouTube.
Here is a live television performance on YouTube.


My song pick a year ago today: Johnny Mandel - Suicide is Painless
My song pick two years ago today: Rush - Vital Signs

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn