955 ( Dizzy Gillespie and His Orchestra - Things to Come )

955 ( Dizzy Gillespie and His Orchestra - Things to Come )

The other day one of my friends surprised me with a bag full old sheet music, magazines, and some CDs. Apparently a local Jazz pianist of some renown had passed away and his family was getting rid of some of his possessions. From what I understand the guy was beyond amazing and one of those musicians who was always striving for something new/better; he constantly bought sheet music and instructional manuals, which piled up over the years.
My friend, being an acquaintance of the deceased, was invited to go thought his stuff and take what he wanted; the rest was to be thrown away. After getting what he wanted he started getting stuff for other musicians he knew; I was one he thought of knowing how much of a fiend I am for Jazz, especially Bop Jazz.
Anyway, one of the pieces that I ended up with was the complete orchestral sheet music for Dizzy Gillespie's "Things to Come" printed in 1946. It kind of gives you an awesome feeling of history reading the front cover seeing the words: "Be-Bop: The New Jazz" with Dizzy's smiling face printed just below. It even has a suggested price of 60¢; that really dates it. Suffice it to say, I am definitely not going to be bored musically for a while.

Here is a 78 rpm vinyl recording of the song on YouTube.
Here is a live performance circa '68 on YouTube.


My song pick a year ago today: Simon & Garfunkel - Hazy Shade of Winter
My song pick two years ago today: Lita Ford feat. Ozzy Osbourne - Close My Eyes Forever
+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In