1521 Steeleye Span - New York Girls

1521 Steeleye Span - New York Girls
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RyP%2B2JEgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
From: Commoners Crown, Year: 1975
Genre: Folk Rock

Last night I happened to be listening to Steeleye Span's Commoners Crown album and after I heard this track, which closes out the album, I knew I had today's pick.
This is a pretty dynamic track vocally in the way it was arranged. Rick Kemp sings on verses 1 and 5, Tim Hart sings on verses 2 and 6, Peter Knight sings on 3 and 7, and Bob Johnson sings on 4 and 8; the incomparable Maddy Prior sings all of the choruses.
One interesting fact about this track is that actor Peter Sellers, who was best known for his role of Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau in the Pink Panther films, played the ukelele. He also spoke the words at the end of the song: "I say, are you a matelot? Careful what you say, sir - we're on board ship here."

Hear New York Girls on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: The Steve Miller Band - Living in the U.S.A.

My song pick two years ago today: Three Dog Night - Shambala

My song pick three years ago today: Diesel - Sausalito Summernight

My song pick four years ago today: Eric Clapton - Layla

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade