1255 Blue Öyster Cult - I Love the Night

1255 Blue Öyster Cult - I Love the Night
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/BlueOysterCultSpectres.jpg

I hadn't heard this track in quite a while and it happened to pop on the radio last night.
Like much of BÖC's work, this track has rather ambiguous lyrical content and is one of the main draws for me.
I've heard of four possible meanings to the subject matter of this track: 1. it's about a love affair with a ghost, 2. it's about a love affair with a vampire, 3. it's taken at face-value and it's about a couple getting together after both just got out of messy relationships, or 4. it's about cocaine use.
I believe that the reasons that the ghost/vampire are even suggested is because of some hints in the song and on the album itself, (The album's title: Spectres, and the song Nosferatu is the next track on the album); the fact that it would be in-line with subject matter that BÖC is known for. As for the potential cocaine reference, some believe that "the lady in white" mentioned in the song could be a slang term for cocaine; at that point some of the other lyrics then line-up if you look at it that way. Whatever the case, as I say quite a bit, what the songwriter really meant doesn't matter, it's up to the listener to make his/her interpretations and to take away what he/she will.
Anyway, it's a rather beautiful and mellow track. I especially love how the song was arranged to almost make a weave of sounds behind the vocals and lead guitar.

Hear I Love the Night on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: The Byrds - Eight Miles High

My song pick two years ago today: Wings - Band on the Run

My song pick three years ago today: Faith No More - Woodpecker From Mars

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade