1885 Jethro Tull - Overhang

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjP3UF-SV5zbNMfHSIsTDBGsK1Bmo_WO1oWzELtLGZp0qPJx0t9Awaq9Gn2THZkSSGPe9IUDcM5kGogGwUe5RVKEkuEE-G4askLnaWVULSv9iS5NtbQi2iXE3PDGXTY9cI8E3-GgYakDCA/s200/Broadsword+and+the+Beast+Cover+Jethro+Tull.jpg
From: Broadsword and the Beast (Remastered); Year: 1982; Genre: Rock
It's been a rather busy couple of days; I had this rarer 'Tull track running through my mind off and on recently. As I often times I do, I took it as a sign I should make it my pick, so I am.
This was one of the many songs written and recorded at the time of the Broadsword and the Beast album that didn't make the cut; it's amazing to think that almost as many songs got cut as made it on to the album. It did however get released on the 20th Anniversary Boxed Set and then later reunited on the remastered version of the Broadsword.
Overall I have to say it, as well as it's siblings who were also cut, has a lot less polish than a properly released song. But who knows, if it would've made the cut they might have given it that polish. Musically in my opinion it's one of their straight forward songs; nothing too fancy, but it does have a nice driving rhythm. Funny enough the first few times I listened to it I had some difficulty understanding what the song was about. This was mostly due to Ian Anderson's metaphor and symbolism laced lyrics. However after a while I realized it was a song written about a hangover the day after an apparent wild party. Definitely a bit different from their normal stuff and perhaps one of the reasons it got left off the album initially.

Hear Overhang on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Hawkwind - Uncle Sam's on Mars

My song pick two years ago today: Al Di Meola - Suite – Golden Dawn

My song pick three years ago today: Béla Fleck & the Flecktones - Sex in a Pan

My song pick four years ago today: David Bowie - Space Oddity

My song pick five years ago today: The Guess Who - No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade