2229 Savatage - Man in the Mirror

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/Poets_and_Madmen.jpg
From: Poets and Madmen; Year: 2001; Genre: Progressive Metal
Felt like some Savatage this morning and thought I would put on their final album under the name "Savatage:" Poets and Madmen.
I like many of the songs on this great heavy metal opera, but this one is a very interesting song. It's mainly driven by Johnny Lee Middleton's bass, but not in the way you think of a song being "bass driven." Throughout the verses of the song he employs an arpeggiated, almost Bachian counterline that just floats across the bottom like mist fog. This really builds the mood for the telling of the internal madness of the main character based on the tragic story of photojournalist Kevin Carter. They really let the music play out just as much of the tale as the lyrics; I really like how the mood swing into the heaviness in the choruses and middle 8/solo like he is striking out in anger at himself.

"And he looks and he laughs at the sight
And he asks what has happened to me
And I blame it all on the lights
But he smiles and says i'm mistaken
And there is no use in disguising
What the eye can so clearly see
That i've spent my whole life denying
That the man in the mirror is me"

Hear Man in the Mirror on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Styx - Snowblind

My song pick two years ago today: Edvard Grieg - Op. 46 - In the Hall of the Mountain King

My song pick three years ago today: Ben E. King - Don't Play That Song (You Lied)

My song pick four years ago today: Three Dog Night - One

My song pick five years ago today: Billy Joel - Captain Jack

My song pick six years ago today: Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade