1487 Edvard Grieg - Op. 46 - In the Hall of the Mountain King

1487 Edvard Grieg - Op. 46 - In the Hall of the Mountain King
Op. 46, Year: 1874-5
Genre: Romantic Period, classical

I normally diligently try to not let any of my previous picks influence current song choices and rather view each pick as unique, which is probably one of the reasons why I end up picking certain artists more than others.
Anyway, I noticed that four years ago today I chose Savatage's title track off of their Hall of the Mountain King album and I decided I should pick the piece of music that helped to inspire it. Actually, their song Prelude to Madness, which can be heard here on YouTube, that precedes it uses the original Grieg melody along with parts from Gustav Holst's Mars, the Bringer of War.
I've actually been meaning to pick this one for quite some time. As probably most know this piece is from the popular play from Henrik Ibsen: Peer Gynt; it can be found in the sixth scene of the second act. Even if you don't know this song by title once you hear the first few seconds, you'll immediately recognize it.

Here is a live performance by the Deutsches Filmorchester Babelsberg, conducted by Scott Lawton on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Ben E. King - Don't Play That Song (You Lied)

My song pick two years ago today: Three Dog Night - One

My song pick three years ago today: Billy Joel - Captain Jack

My song pick four years ago today: Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn