1120 Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO) - House of the Rising Sun

1120 Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO) - House of the Rising Sun
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51D1yrAeqUL.jpg

Been meaning to pick this one for quite some time now. This is, of course, BTO's cover of the legendary song that was made famous by Eric Burdon & the Animals. The authorship to this rather old song is still unknown to this day; many have recorded their own versions of it.
From what I understand this track became a live staple for BTO after a concert where they played a show with Eric Burdon & the Animals. As the story goes, Eric Burdon & the Animals, for what ever reason, decided not to perform their signature song, however the crowd wanted to hear it; to appease the crowd BTO came on and performed it. They eventually recorded a studio version of the song for their '96 Trial by Fire: Greatest and Latest album, which, as the album title suggests, contained both new and old material.
Ever since I first heard this track I liked it, C.F. Turner's soulful and gravely voice actually fits this track better than most I have ever heard. Combine that with their signature Canadian Hard Rock sound and in my opinion you have an one of the best versions of the song.

Here is a live performance circa '04 on YouTube.


My song pick a year ago today: The Moody Blues - The Story in Your Eyes

My song pick two years ago today: Cheech & Chong feat. Alice Bowie - Earache My Eye

My song pick three years ago today: Weather Report - Birdland

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade