1150 Jethro Tull - Aqualung

1150 Jethro Tull - Aqualung
I really have no idea why I am choosing this track today, it just hit me to pick it. Anyway, this is probably the one song by the band that most anyone has heard at one time or another; when you hear those first six note riff you should immediately identify it. I have never been too fond of this ode to a homeless man who is possibly a pedophile, but it is a good track never the less, just not even close to my favourite from the band.
Some probably don't know this, but the lyrics of Aqualung was written by Ian Anderson's first wife Jenny Franks; she supposedly was inspired by seeing a homeless man. Using the term "Aqualung" to name this unknown homeless man comes from the watery sound he apparently made while coughing due to illness. From what I have read they almost got in trouble using the term "Aqualung" due to Aqua-lung being copyrighted by Jacques-Yves Cousteau and Émile Gagnan; it was used as the name for the SCUBA device they created back in the 1940's. On my vinyl copy of Aqualung it has a statement printed at the bottom of the back cover discerning between the album and the device; oddly enough my CD copy does not have this disclaimer on it.

Hear Aqualung on YouTube.
Watch an excellent live performance circa '77 on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Bill Monroe & the Blue Grass Boys - Wayfaring Stranger

My song pick two years ago today: Billy Squier - In The Dark

My song pick three years ago today: Jethro Tull - Steel Monkey

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)