1641-2 Quasar - Fanfare/Seeing Stars

1641-2 Quasar - Fanfare/Seeing Stars
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ak3itfkaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
From: Fire in the Sky, Year: 1981
Genre: Progressive Rock

It still amazes me how every now and then I remember bands that I like and should've picked a song from at some time in the last four years of doing this blog. Maybe I should try to do a theme week covering bands that I like and haven't picked yet.
Anyway, for those who haven't heard of the band, they are what some refer to as part of 'the second wave' of Progressive Rock bands, or 'Neo-Progressive Rock,' which are essentially Progressive Rock bands that got their start right around 1980. One of the main aspects that bands of this ilk, including Quasar, incorporated were the new ideas and sounds that were coming out of genres such as New Wave. To me, on this song in particular they sound a lot like a mix between the sounds of Styx and Electric Light Orchestra with maybe some 'Bowie thrown in for good measure. Fanfare, which is the intro/overture of the album, contains a lot Jazz Fusion influence and then leads directly into the more laid back and melodic Seeing Stars. Hearing Quasar again after all of these years has really brought back some memories.

Hear the studio version on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Waylander - A Hero's Lament

My song pick two years ago today: Queen - Seaside Rendezvous

My song pick three years ago today: Warren Zevon - Werewolves of London

My song pick four years ago today: Band of Horses - Is There A Ghost?

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn