1909 Alestorm - Barrett's Privateers

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mDoNfVbBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
From: Back Through Time; Year: 2011; Genre: Celtic Folk Metal/Pirate Metal
Yesterday I had this song my mind; as usual I took as a sign I should pick it. I remember when I first looked at the track list I was certainly amused when I saw that Alestorm had covered this classic Stan Rogers a cappella folk ditty and turned it into a full-blown heavy metal song. I've always liked the original; I can't remember how many times I've heard it, but it's been a bunch. However, to say the least I like Alestorm's cover just a much, probably more now that I think about it. They simply did an awesome job covering it in my opinion, of course the subject matter fit Alestorm's pirate themed music style perfectly, so it's no surprise at all. This track also features a pretty good guitar solo by guest guitarist Heri Joensen from the band Tyr.

Hear Alestorm's version of Barrett's Privateers on YouTube.
Hear the original Stan Rogers version on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Sly and the Family Stone - Sing a Simple Song

My song pick two years ago today: Miles Davis - So What

My song pick three years ago today: Ray Charles - I Can't Stop Loving You

My song pick four years ago today: J.S. Bach - BWV 659 - Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland

My song pick five year ago today: Billy Thorpe - Children of the Sun


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)