776 ( Maddy Prior - Cold Flame )

776 ( Maddy Prior - Cold Flame )











For a while now it seems as if I have between 10 to 15 songs in mind to pick each day; I cannot remember the last time I sat down to make a post on my song blog having to think about a song to choose. Last night I was doing some further research on the solo albums from Maddy Prior, who is the lead singer of Steeleye Span. Well, suffice it to say now I have well over 25 songs in mind to pick today.
This song came off of Maddy Prior's first solo album: Woman In The Wings, in which Ian and the boys from Jethro Tull took the part of her backing group in the studio; both Robin Black and Ian Anderson produced the album. It is mindblowing to hear Maddy Prior's beautiful vocal talents mixed with the sound of Jethro Tull.
This is not the first time that they have collaborated, there are a few Jethro Tull tracks in which she provided backing vocals and Ian produced at least one Steeleye Span album that I know of.
This is a very beautiful track, the strings and horns contrasting with the 'Tull prog/rock sound is quite nice. There is some very interesting symbolic imagery in this song describing what an ex-lover has done and comparing it with a storm and its aftermath. I just love Martin Barre's guitar solo in this song, and of course Maddy Prior's voice is beautiful as ever.

Here is the record version in a fan video.



My song pick a year ago today: #404 Savatage - Follow Me
My song pick two years ago today: #36 Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO) - Sledgehammer

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn